- New "Text Submission, no file required" option when creating Assignment folders allows learners to create a submission using the HTML editor instead of uploading a file to the folder.
- Instructors must select this option, if desired, when creating a new Assignment folder. The option cannot be added to existing folders. Once an Assignment folder with the option to allow Text submissions has been created, it cannot be edited back to allow for uploaded file submission rather a new Assignment folder would need to be created.
- Turnitin Integration Updated
- Updates have been made to date management; Start and End dates are no longer managed separately for the Assignment folder and the Turnitin integration when enabled for that folder.
- Turnitin enabled folders will now copy to new courses without the need to re-enable the Turnitin integration for that folder.
- Feedback left in GradeMark for Group Type Assignment folders is now visible to all group members. Previously it was only visible to the individual who submitted on the groups behalf.
- Instructors now have the option when enabling GradeMark for an Assignment folder to "Automatically sync grades as Draft in Brightspace" or "Manually sync grades as Draft in Brightspace". Syncing grades in this manner will allow for scores left in the MarkUp window to transfer to the D2L score field. Scores will not be "published" to learners until an instructor chooses that option at that folder, regardless of the GradeMark sync option selected.
- Learners can now have access to GradeMark feedback when instructors "Publish" feedback, even if no score is assigned for a folder.
- Once instructors "Publish" feedback, learners can access the MarkUp from the Assignment folder, from Class Progress, and from an associated Grade item. An icon and text to "View Inline Feedback" appear consistently to students in all 3 locations.
- Instructors will no longer be able to opt out of the new Quizzes Experience view in preference of the older quizzes creation interface. The updated Experiences view is now the system default for all users.
- Text and image question types have been removed. All existing text and image type questions will be converted to "Sections". Placing a Section that contains an image or block of text on a quiz will function identically as having a Text or Information Type question on the quiz.
Widgets now display more prominently against homepage backgrounds.
Brightspace Mobile Platform
- For security reasons, as of June 30, 2018, Brightspace will no longer support TLS 1.0, which is used on devices running Android OS 4.4 and below.
Copy Course Components
- When instructors copy course components in bulk, they can now enable a date offset to occur to the items copied into the course by days or hours.
- When assessing a discussion post from an associated Grade item- in the Assess Post pop-up, an instructor can now see a hyper link to the original discussion post.
Groups and Sections
- Fixed headers and wider columns now appear on the Enroll Users page in Groups. This change helps users easily view and scroll through large numbers of groups and sections.
- This feature is not supported in the Internet Explorer 11 or Microsoft Edge web browsers. The Enroll Users page retains its previous interface in these browsers.
- Emoticons are now available in the HTML Editor. Users may find the emoticons by clicking the down arrow menu next to the icons for Insert Stuff, Insert picture and Insert quicklink in the HTML editor tool bar.
- "Question Pools" have replaced "Random Sections" for creating quizzes with randomized questions.
- All the functionality random sections provided is now located on a single screen, with a simplified workflow. When creating a question pool, instructors enter a title, the number of questions to select, and the points per question. On the same page, they can browse the Question Library to select the desired questions to add to the pool. Instructors are also able to edit or delete questions in place.
- All Rubrics used for D2L activities; Discussions, Quizzes and Assignments, should now be associated to the Activity. (Previously a rubric could be associated with the activity OR an associated Grade item for that activity.
- Grade items which have a rubric associated to the grade item can no longer be associated with activities in the D2L shell. Rubrics should be associated to Grade items only if those Grade items are for activities that do not exist as a Discussion, Quiz or Assignment folder within the D2L shell.
- Rubric definition previews now open in a pop-up window or are embedded in the assessment view for activities to which the rubric is associated.
- Instructors can control a rubrics visibility to learners in one of three ways:
- Rubric is always visible
- Rubric is hidden until feedback is published
- Rubric is never visible to learners
- Rubric visibility is controlled at the Create/ Edit Rubric area. Visibility can not be set differently for the same rubric associated with multiple activities.
- Rubric feedback now has a consistent appearance across tools in Brightspace Learning Environment, including responsive display on desktops and mobile devices. The grading criteria that a learner achieves in an activity is highlighted in the rubric. Also, the Overall Score row is removed and replaced by a Total row for the entire rubric.
- Rubric feedback for Assignments now appears at the top of the Assignment Feedback page.
- Rubric feedback for Discussions now includes overall feedback, detailed rubric feedback, and score. Feedback displays to learners as soon as instructors save rubric and overall feedback assessment. Previously, discussions only included score. Overall feedback, score, and rubric feedback only display at associated Grade items after choosing Publish to Gradebook or Publish score on save in the Discussion assessment.
- Rubric feedback for quiz submissions is now viewed by clicking the new View Feedback link under the Feedback column at the Quiz submissions information. Previously, quiz submissions included a text bubble icon that linked to quiz feedback.
- Learners can now view their graded rubric feedback in Gradebook for all associated discussions, assignments, and quizzes.
- Learners can now view their completed rubric (including the selected levels and instructor feedback) in the following tools:
- Gradebook for all associated activities and for rubrics attached to Grade item only(new)
- Discussions (new)
- Content (classic Content experience), where the activity is included (Assessment section)
- After June 22 2018, performing a course copy will realign any rubric associated to a grade item, which is also associated with an activity, to the activity and not the grade item.
- The first column displaying learner Name is now "locked" so that instructors can now scroll through user grades without losing the context of which users grades they are looking for. (Previously the names column repeated every 5 columns.)
- The new locked Name column / header row is present on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari web browsers and is not present on Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge web browsers. The locked Name column /header row will not be active when using a small screen space such as a mobile device.
- Offset other activity dates – In addition to offsetting start, end, and due dates, instructors have the option to offset other dates associated with activities. Affected dates are: discussion topic and forum locking dates, quiz submission view dates, quiz report dates, and survey report dates.
- Manual calendar events - Instructors can edit the start and end dates of events that were manually created and not tied to existing activities or content topics. As a result, instructors can manage all course dates from a single location.
- Improved sorting of items to follow tool sort order - Manage Dates display activities in the order in which an instructor would see them in their respective tools.
- Display of course start and end date - The course start date and end date appears at the top of the Manage Dates page and acts as a reference for instructors when operating on the dates of the various activities. If instructors have the Manage Courses > Change Start and End Dates permission, they can launch a dialog box and then edit the dates.
- The Tool column on the Manage Dates page has been removed - You can use the Type column to sort the Manage Dates page based on the tool-specific order.
- New links to the Manage Dates page - The new Review and Manage Dates button appears at the end of copy course components, course import, and course import advanced.
- The My Courses tile area no longer automatically pins future courses; rather the area displays results by current enrollments or last activity in a non-pinned state. Users can still manually pin courses as preferred.
- Users with less than 50 total enrollments: course area will show manually pined courses followed by current enrollments followed by future enrollments for a total of 12 enrollments.
- Users with more than 50 total enrollments: course area will show manually pinned courses followed by up to 12 last-accessed courses.
- Rubric previews can be opened in a pop up window or viewed directly from the discussion or assignment folder to which they are attached.
- Rubric previews now maintain a consistent appearance across all tools, and have a responsive display across all desktop and mobile devices.
- "Overall Score" row is removed in preview and replaced with a "Total" row for the entire rubric.
- UPCOMING CHANGE TO USE OF RUBRICS IN D2L
- Beginning JUNE 15 2018 all rubrics should be associated with activities- discussions, assignments or quizzes- and not the grade item associated with those activities. Rubrics should only be attached to Grade Items, if those items are for recording grades for assignments not found within the course. You will be unable to associate any course activity to a grade item, if that grade item has a rubric attached at the grade item.
- Beginning JUNE 15 2018 any rubrics which are currently associated with a grade item that is also associated with a course activity, will be removed from that grade item and associated to the corresponding activity instead -when the course containing the rubrics is COPIED to a new course shell.
- Beginning JUNE 15 2018 students will be able to access completed rubrics at the Activity to which the rubric is associated AND the Grade Item associated with that activity AND Class Progress information for that activity AND the Class Progress Grades information for that associated activity. Students will also be able to access completed rubrics at Content when the activity is included there using the "Add Existing Activity" feature.
Faculty and instructors are encouraged to attend one of two Zoom Preview Sessions hosted by Instructional & Technology Support to highlight Zoom functionality. Sessions are offered Wednesday April 25th and Thursday April 26th at 1:00 PM in Boyer 235.
Zoom is now available to all University faculty staff and students for web meeting and conferencing from https://millersville.zoom.us/. Additionally a link is provided from the D2L University menu to Zoom; however Zoom is not integrated into individual courses as Collaborate was.
Collaborate and Collaborate Ultra will be turned off on June 30th 2018. Faculty teaching this summer will not be able to use Collaborate or Collaborate Ultra after June 30th.
Faculty who built student assignments using Collaborate functionality will need to become familiar with the features of Zoom and may need to redesign assignments accordingly.
Zoom resources may be found at https://wiki.millersville.edu/display/instructdocs. New resources will be added to the wiki as they are developed.
- Hundreds of new images of more diverse age, gender, ethnicity, culture and educational subject have been added to the library from which instructors may select course tile/banner image.
- When grading assignments all rubric dialog boxes now open as pop-up windows.
- When an instructor is grading a discussion, the Assess Topic dialog box opens as a pop-up window regardless of the dialog box option the instructor had set under Account Settings. As a result, the instructor can move the Assess Topic dialog box to another screen and continue reading discussions or navigating through a learner's discussions on a different screen without closing the Assess Topic dialog box.
- New bulk feedback option allows instructors to select a set of students and leave a single feedback description to be seen by each selected individual.
- Replacement strings may be used in feedback left for multiple students at once.
- Grades can now be sorted by "users with feedback" and "users without feedback" using the search options for a grade item.
Groups and Sections
- Instructors can now create sub-groups, based on Section or Group enrollment, within the Groups tool. When creating a new Group category, the Restrict Enrollments To option now allows enrollment of the category to be based upon previous enrollment in a group or section.
- If a parent section or group is deleted from a course, all related sub-groups are also deleted.
- Dates will now display for the following activities:
- Quiz submission view names and dates
- Topic unlock dates
- Forum unlock dates
- The following objects have been renamed:
- Grade Object reads as Grade Item or Grade Category
- Module reads as Content Module
- Topic reads as Content Topic
- The Discussion Forum icon has been changed to reflect that it is a container of other things.
- The Grade Category icon has been changed to reflect that it is a container of other things.
- Dates in the Due, Start, and End columns are clickable and instructors can launch the Edit dialog box to make any changes.
- Instructors who use the switch roles to view their course as a student will now see a visual indicator of the role on the navbar as a reminder to switch back.
Manage Dates Tool
- Manage Dates interface has been updated to Daylight style
- Instructors can now edit due dates in the Manage Dates tool.
- The LaTeX editor has been re-added to the HTML Editor when creating/ editing quiz questions. The LaTeX editor existed in the old quizzing experience.
- A simpler user interface has been introduced for creating sections within quizzes and question library.
- The Section Title and Section Text are now visible to learners by default. Instructors can select the check boxes beneath each field to hide the Section Title and Section Text from learners.
- The Save drop-down menu also includes a Save and New option and a Save and Copy option.
- All remaining non-daylight icons in the Gradebook are now consistent with Daylight style
My Courses Widget
The My Courses widget no longer automatically pins future courses; rather, the widget displays results by current enrollments or last activity in a non-pinned state. Users can continue to manually pin courses as appropriate for their purposes.
Exemptions - Additional launch points
This feature provides instructors the ability to launch the Manage Exemptions page from the following tools:
The Assignments tool:
- On the Assignment Submission Folders page, in the context menu of an assignment folder
- On the Assignments page as a button at the top of the page
The Discussions tool:
- On the Discussions List page, in the context menu of a topic
- On the View Topic page, in the context menu beside the topic name
- On the Assess Topic page as a button at the top of the page
The Quizzes tool:
- On the Manage Quizzes page, in the context menu of a quiz
- On the Grade Quiz page as a button at the top of the page
HTML Editor - Advanced image editing
Users can now edit images in place (including flipping, rotating, and adjusting brightness, sharpness, and color), edit the image description, and edit the size of the image. Image changes save to Manage Files, or, depending on user permissions, as new file attachments to the item (such as Discussions) every time a change is made. Multiple edits will create multiple items.
Question Library - New question import workflow (This change was communicated in the January Update Notification.)
This feature adds new ways for instructors to search the Question Library when adding questions to a quiz. Using a slide in panel featuring the questions in a tree structure enables easy navigation of questions to be added to quizzes. The ability to sort questions by their source collection, question type, points value, and question text has also been added.
Quicklinks - Self-Enrollment Groups link
Instructors can now insert a Quicklink to self-enrolling groups. This update provides learners a direct path to sign up for their group and a new Group Self-Enrollment screen.
Quizzes - Due Dates Available
To improve the consistency of dates across tools in Brightspace Learning Environment, due dates are available for quizzes. This allows instructors to better communicate when quizzes are due, and better identify when a learner submits a quiz late. This change impacts when quizzes are marked as late. A quiz is now considered late if it is submitted after the due date is reached. Previously, ‘late’ referred to attempts submitted after the time limit of an ‘enforced time limit’ quiz was exceeded. Quizzes submitted after the due date are labeled ‘submitted late’. Quizzes submitted after the time limit is reached are now labeled as ‘exceeded time limit’.
- A link to the Intelligent Agents tool can now be found on the Communication drop down menu within a course. Only instructors can see and access this link.
- A link to the Intelligent Agents tool can now be found on the Class Progress page.
- The workflow for importing questions from the Question Library to place on a Quiz has been updated.
- The option to "Browse Question Library" now appears under the Import button when adding questions to a Quiz.
- The Browse Question Library feature appears as a slide in panel with the library questions arranged in a tree structure.
- The Browse Question Library panel allows instructors to sort and/or filter questions by their source collection, question type, points value, and question text.
- Confirmation buttons to start and submit a quiz have been removed.
- When students click "Start" on the quiz instruction screen, they are taken directly to the quiz and do not have to click OK to commence the quiz.
- When students complete a quiz and click "Go to Submit Quiz", they are taken to the Quiz Submission Confirmation screen where they can either submit the quiz or return to one of the quiz questions using the Quiz Info menu.
There are no feature or tool changes being made to the Millersville D2L system on Friday December 21 2017 that will affect students or instructors.
There are no feature or tool changes being made to the Millersville D2L system on Friday November 17, 2017 that will affect students or instructors.
There were no feature or tool changes made to our D2L system in October that affected students or instructors.
- Assignments folders now have a "draft" visibility status, just like Quizzes "inactive" status and Content "draft" status. When an instructor creates a new assignment folder, the new folder defaults to the draft visibility state, meaning that students cannot yet see the folder. Instructors may change the "hidden" status of assignment folders by either unchecking "hidden from users" on the "Restrictions" tab while editing the folder or by selecting "Make Visible to Users" from the drop down option menu next to an Assignment folder name on the list of folders at Assignments.
- The new draft visibility status will allow for consistency between Assignment folders added as activities at Content and the visibility of the same folder at Assignments; if a folder is hidden on the Assignments list, that folder will appear as "in draft" when added as a Content Topic.
- A closed eye icon will appear next to the name of a hidden folder on the Assignment folder list for easy identification of hidden folders.
- Icons reflecting the type of file will (once again) appear next to Topics in Content. These icons are visible in the main Table of Contents view, the Module Content view, and the Table of Contents fly-out menu when viewing a topic or activity. (Icons were already visible in the Content Browser Widget).
For all D2L issues or requests for training/support please contact the Help Desk at 717.871-7777 or submit your own help desk request at https://wiki.millersville.edu/display/ittac/Self+Help.
- When you make changes using the editor at Content, Discussions, or Assignments and attempt to navigate away or close the browser or tab without saving your changes, a message will now prompt you to discard your changes or resume editing.
- Instructors can now shuffle the order of all questions in quizzes or specific groups of questions (sections) in quizzes. For example, an instructor could shuffle questions 1-10 in a quiz, or shuffle questions 3-10 (grouping those questions into a section) and retain the order of questions 1-2 at the start of the quiz.
Millersville enabled the Daylight experience for the D2L environment on Monday June 12th.
- The Daylight experience is a more response design; users will have a more consistent experience when accessing D2L with different devices.
- The use of white space and simplified icons improves accessibility.
- Images used as course tiles now enable a quick visual reference for access to courses; the images persist as the corresponding course homepage banner.
- Announcements at the University level will no longer display announcements created in individual courses. Course announcements still trigger notifications (if enabled) and will be displayed on course homepages.
There are no additional feature or tool changes being made to the Millersville D2L system on Friday June 16, 2016 that will affect students or instructors.
- Instructors using "Group or section topic" type discussions now have the option to post a thread to all groups within the topic or for individual groups within the topic.
Collaborate Ultra and Chrome Version 58 Error
There is currently an issue with the latest version of Chrome and Collaborate Ultra.
Sessions that include a user sharing their video for more than ~30 minutes can expect their browsers to freeze/crash.
Until the issue is fixed we recommend using the FireFox browser.
The full details can be viewed at: