Information Technology utilizes software by Bomgar (formerly NetworkStreaming) to allow Information Technology support personnel the ability to remotely control a customer's computer. This software is available for both the Windows and Macintosh platforms.
Information Technology support personnel have been using this product very successfully since spring 2006. Support technicians use this software to assist the customer with some quick training issues, to see an error message, to install a patch or program, to view what a customer is doing to help advise them, make minor adjustments to application settings, etc.
The product is an efficient time saver for both the technician and the customer. Feedback thus far has been very positive.
Steps for using Bomgar Remote Support:
- Millersville IT employees converse with your over the phone and will ask you to open a web browser and type in the following web address: http://support.millersville.edu
- On the web page, click on the IT employee name to download the remote support software.
- Next, open the software:
- In Internet Explorer, choose "Run" and then "Run" again.
- In other browsers, you may have to choose Open, or, if prompted only to save, check your Downloads folder or window.
- On a Macintosh computer, simply double-click the downloaded file in your Downloads folder.
- On the next window, select "Yes" to grant full control of your computer to the IT employee. This process can take a couple of seconds to complete. At this point, the IT employee can control your computer.
- Once the IT employee is finished, the session will be terminated and a window appears on your desktop confirming that the remote control session has ended.