There are VMware View native clients for Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Chromebooks, iPads and most Android tablets
System Requirements for Windows and Macintosh
Windows - XP or newer, 32 or 64-bit
Note: Windows RT based tablets (like the Microsoft Surface RT) can only run the Horizon Client from the Windows Store and does not seem to support accessing USB drives.
Macintosh - OS X 10.6.8 or above
Installing the Client
Before you can connect to a Virtual Desktop, you must first install the VMware View Client. Please select the appropriate version of View Client from the list below to begin your download.
VMware Horizon View Windows Client 4.3 Installer
for Windows 7 and newer - 64 MB
-- NOTE: Use the one linked above for Windows 10 unless you have a Windows 10 S or ARM processor based device
VMware Horizon View Client for Windows 10 UWP App
for Windows 10 only (UWP), recommended ONLY for Windows 10 S and ARM based devices - ~39 MB
VMware Horizon View Windows Client 3.2.1 Installer
for Windows XP or Vista 32-bit (x86) - 35 MB
VMware Horizon View Windows Client 3.2.1 Installer
for Windows XP or Vista 64-bit (x64) - 39 MB
VMware Horizon View Mac Client 4.3 Installer
for Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) thru Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra) - 34 MB
VMware Horizon View Mac Client 3.5.2 Installer
for Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) - 33 MB
VMware Horizon View Mac Client 3.2 Installer
for Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) thru 10.7.5 (Lion) - 33 MB
Note: New versions of the Client are released periodically. Occasionally check this page or go to https://vlab.millersville.edu and the download site should show if a newer version has been released.
Installation Instructions (Windows)
- Download the appropriate version of the VMware View Client from the links above. If you are not sure whether you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows operating system, click here.
- When prompted to Open/Run or Save the file, choose Run. If you choose Save, you'll need to locate the downloaded file and run it manually.
- Accept any Windows User Account Control Messages by clicking Continue if necessary.
- The installer will launch. At the Welcome screen, click Next.
- Review the License Agreement, choose I accept the terms... and click Next.
- Click Next at the Custom Setup screen.
- On the Default Server screen, enter vlab.millersville.edu as the Default View Connection Server. Click Next.
- Click Next at the Enhanced Single Sign On screen.
- On the Configure Shortcuts screen, check mark the locations where you want a shortcut to the VMware View software to be created. Click Next.
- At the Ready to Install the Program page, click on Install to begin the installation process.
- When installation is complete, click on Finish.
- The View installer will ask you to restart your computer. Click on Yes to restart.
- After restarting, launch the View Client and login the same way as you would in a campus computer lab that uses the VMware Client.
Installation Instructions (Mac)
- Download the VMware View Client for Mac from the link above.
- After you finish downloading, the disk image should mount, and inside there will be a "VMware View Client" icon. Simply drag this to your Applications folder.
- Go to Applications and launch "VMware View Client"
- Click on the small cloud with a + in it in the upper right corner of the window.
- Enter vlab.millersville.edu for the Hostname. Click Continue.
- Replace "yourusername" with your username and enter your password. Ensure the Domain is "MUAD" and click Continue.
- Double click vLab desktop icon to connect.
NOTE: If you have an older version of this client software, before you download the installer for this new version of Horizon View Client for Mac OS X, take the following steps:
- Remove the older version. Drag the VMware View Client application from the Applications folder to the Trash and empty the trash. This step ensures that, after you install the new version, the application icon in the launch pad will be updated to show VMware Horizon View Client.
- Remove the VMware View Client shortcut from the Dock.
- Install the new version following the directions above.
VMware Horizon View for iPad
To connect to the vLab from your iPad, you must download and install the VMware Horizon View for iPad app.
VMware Horizon View for Android tablet devices
To connect to the vLab from a Android device, you must download and install the VMware Horizon View app from the Google Play store. (Note: Not all Android devices support the VMware View app)
Note: the View Client App for Kindle Fire is also available in the Amazon Android Appstore.
VMware Horizon View for Chromebook
To connect to the vLab from a Chromebook, you must download and install the VMware Horizon View app from the Chrome Web Store store. Chromebook compatibility is currently being evaluated and should be considered beta at this time. Some features such USB redirection and pass-through printing does not seem to be supported with a Chromebook using this newly released client at this time.
VMware View for Ubuntu Linux
You can download the View Client from the Canonical repository. Scroll down through the list and download the .deb installer for the latest version of the View Client (currently 2.2.0) for the version of Ubuntu that you have installed.
For example if you have Ubuntu 12.04 installed, click on the "vmware-view-client_2.2.0-0ubuntu0.12.04_i386.deb" link. Once downloaded you can install the client by right clicking on the .deb file and opening it in the Ubuntu Software Center and then click "Install".
Once the client is installed, launch it and follow steps 5-7 for Mac users above.
NOTE: the View Client is primarily targeted to Ubuntu users, and effort is required to make this work on non-Ubuntu distributions of Linux. The Help Desk cannot provide support for Linux installs beyond the scope of what is provided on this page.