Computer Buying & Suggested Specifications
When purchasing a new computer, look for something that fits both your academic and extracurricular activities and can sustain your computing needs for the next 4-5 years. Shop around and compare prices and features to get the best fit for your needs.
The following vendors offer Millersville University students discounts on computers:
- Apple for Education: www.apple.com/us-hed/shop - Apple Education Store
- Dell Member Purchase Program: www.dell.com/MPP (enter member ID: US126334094) - Dell Member Purchase Program
- CDW - Millersville: www.cdwg.com/millersville - CDW - Millersville
- Processor: Any current era processor
- Platform: Microsoft Windows or Apple operating system
- Memory: 4 GB (minimum)
- Hard drive: 250-500 GB
- Microsoft Office 365 is available to Millersville University students. Through our Microsoft Campus Agreement, Microsoft currently provides this to every student free of charge. This enables students to:
- Install Office on up to 5 compatible Windows and Mac computers and/or tablets (including iPad)
- Utilize Office 365 online
- Use OneDrive for online file storage
- vLab Virtual Desktop is available to students and will deliver a fully-functional Windows 7 computer lab desktop to your personal device over the Internet. Through this interface, students have instant access to most campus-provided software and university resources that would otherwise only be available on campus computer lab PCs.
- Each Millersville University student has a print allocation for the Spring and Fall semesters. The allocation renews at the beginning of each semester.
- Once the print allocation is exhausted students may use their Marauder Gold accounts for printing on campus.
Before you bring your computing device to campus...
- Windows Updates: Make sure that you have all of your Windows updates installed. It is also good to check that your automatic updates are turned on.
- Anti-virus Software: Anti-virus software is a must. Be sure the latest virus definitions are installed.
- External or Cloud Storage: USB flash drivers or cloud storage for your files are necessary when you need to access it on a campus lab computer. They are also very useful for backing up your important documents.
- Physical/Theft Protection for your computer: Consider a lock-down kit for your device. Make note of the serial number, make and model of your computer in case of theft.