How do I change the number of people who may talk at the same time during a Collaborate session?
These instructions assume you are using Collaborate and not Collaborate Ultra.
Not sure which Collaborate you are using? Check out our comparison page.
These instructions assume you are in Blackboard Collaborate.
To set the simultaneous talkers limit:
- Open the Tools menu.
- Within the Tools menu, open the "Audio" sub-menu.
- Choose "Maximum Simultaneous Talkers..."
- In the "Maximum Simultaneous Talkers" window that opens:
- Move the slider to the maximum number of simultaneous talkers you wish to allow during the session.
- Click the "OK" button.
- The maximum value for simultaneous talkers is 6.
- Lowering the simultaneous talkers limit benefits participants using slow Internet connections.
- Collaborate does not count people connected by telephone as simultaneous talkers. The simultaneous talkers setting will not affect them.
- If you reduce simultaneous talkers value to below the number of people already talking, none of those current talkers will be cut off. Everyone talking at the time you changed simultaneous talkers will be able to continue doing so until they release their Talk buttons or you remove their Audio permission.
- The audio for each talker uses up to 8 Kbps of bandwidth.