How do I request a D2L shell for a standard course, one related to one or more CRNs in Banner?
To request one or more D2L shells:
- Log in to MAX.
- Click on the "Faculty Services" link.
- Click on the "D2L Course" link.
- Choose the desired semester from the drop-down list and click the button to proceed.
- At this point, you will be presented with a page showing your previously requested D2L courses (if any) for the selected semester.
- Additionally there are two buttons:
- one button creates a course from a single CRN
- one button creates a course from multiple CRNs
- Click the appropriate button.
- Select the course to create.
- In the case of multiple CRNs being combined into a single course, the you can Ctrl-Click or Command-Click to select the CRNs you want. Also for combined courses, the you can adjust the name of the D2L course to reflect all the course numbers and sections being combined.
- Click the button to proceed with the course creation.
If you accidentally skip over the option to adjust the name of the D2L course as your request it in MAX, or if you change your mind about your D2L course's name later, you can rename D2L courses right from within D2L itself.
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm in MAX, but I don't see the course(s) I want to request. What can I do?
- Make sure you're looking at the correct semester. The D2L course request application in MAX defaults to showing you a term from several years ago, probably not what you want for requesting new courses. Use the "Change" button to switch the selected term.
- Make sure you're looking in the correct place. The home screen of MAX's D2L course request application shows the D2L course shells you have already requested, if any. To see the course sections for which you can still request D2L course shells, click one of the "Create..." buttons in the upper right, either "Create a Desire2Learn Course" or "Create a Combined Course".
- Make sure you have been assigned the course. Your department chair may notify you, you will be teaching a course section before he or she works with the Registrar's office to make that official. Confirm with your department chair, or the Registrar's office, that you are the primary instructor of the course section for which you wish to request a D2L course shell.
- Contact the IT Help Desk.
I used MAX to request a D2L course shell, but that shell hasn't show up in D2L. What can I do?
- Make sure you have waited 32 hours. Banner only sends updated information to D2L only once each day, and there is a delay after Banner sends its information before D2L processes the updates. This means that while D2L creates most requested course shells in less than 24 hours, some requests will wait up to 32 hours, depending upon when they were submitted.
- Use the My Courses widget to make sure your new course shell isn't just hiding from you. D2L doesn't automatically position new course shells at or near the top of the list in the minibar's course selector ( ). Instead D2L buries new course shells in the course selector's list, making those new courses difficult to find. Therefore, instead of using the course selector to find new course shells, scroll down on your My Home page and use the My Courses widget there.
- Make sure your request is in MAX. Return to MAX and confirm that your request appears there under the appropriate term. You may have missed clicking the final confirmation button when you used the course shell request application in MAX before. It happens.
- Contact the IT Help Desk.