How do I request a D2L shell for a standard course, one related to one or more CRNs in Banner?
CRNs are Course Reference Numbers. Millersville University's student information system, Banner, assigns each course section its own, unique CRN. And when Banner communicates with D2L about courses and enrollments, it uses CRNs.
To request one D2L course shell for one or more course sections (CRNs):
- Log in to MAX.
- Click on the Faculty Services link.
- Click on the D2L Course link.
- Choose the desired semester from the drop-down list and click the button to proceed.
- At this point, you will be presented with a page showing your previously requested D2L courses (if any) for the selected semester.
- Additionally there are two buttons:
- Create a Desire2Learn Course - This button creates a single D2L course shell from a single course section.
- Create a Combined Course - This button creates a a single D2L course shell from two or more course sections.
- Click the appropriate button.
- Select the course section(s) that will be part of your D2L course shell.
- In the case of multiple sections (CRNs) being combined into a single course, the you can Ctrl-Click or ⌘-Click to select the sections you want. Also for combined courses, the you can adjust the name of the D2L course to reflect all the course numbers and sections being combined.
- Click through the remaining steps to confirm the details of your D2L course shell request.
If you accidentally skip over the option to adjust the name of the D2L course as your request it in MAX, or if you change your mind about your D2L course's name later, you can rename D2L courses right from within D2L itself.
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm in MAX, but I don't see the course(s) I want to request. What can I do?
- Make sure you're looking at the correct semester. The D2L course request application in MAX defaults to showing you a term from several years ago, probably not what you want for requesting new courses. Use the "Change" button to switch the selected term.
- Make sure you're looking in the correct place. The home screen of MAX's D2L course request application shows the D2L course shells you have already requested, if any. To see the course sections for which you can still request D2L course shells, click one of the "Create..." buttons in the upper right, either "Create a Desire2Learn Course" or "Create a Combined Course".
- Make sure you have been assigned the course. Your department chair may notify you, you will be teaching a course section before he or she works with the Registrar's office to make that official. Confirm with your department chair, or the Registrar's office, that you are the primary instructor of the course section for which you wish to request a D2L course shell.
- Contact the IT Help Desk.
I used MAX to request a D2L course shell, but that shell hasn't show up in D2L. What can I do?
- Make sure you have waited 32 hours. Banner only sends updated information to D2L only once each day, and there is a delay after Banner sends its information before D2L processes the updates. This means that while D2L creates most requested course shells in less than 24 hours, some requests will wait up to 32 hours, depending upon when they were submitted.
- Use the View All Courses link or the waffle menu () to make sure your new course shell isn't just hiding from you. D2L doesn't always place new course shells among the course tiles in your My Courses widget. The View All Courses link and the waffle menu get you to where you can see, and search through, all your D2L course shells.
- Make sure your request is in MAX. Return to MAX and confirm that your request appears there under the appropriate term. You may have missed clicking the final confirmation button when you used the course shell request application in MAX before. It happens.
- Contact the IT Help Desk.