In Cascade, you can organize pages into a hierarchy of folders and child pages. Pages in such a hierarchy are called a sub-level navigation (see screenshot).
Sub-level navigation is a simple but effective way of categorizing content. Cascade makes navigation of your site easier by providing links forward and backwards through the page hierarchy within the site navigation and breadcrumbs.
A parent page is at the topmost level of that hierarchy, identified by an 'index' system name. Subpages are called child pages or children. Think of sub-level navigation like a bulleted list with nested lists inside.
Sample navigation using page display names:
- My Department Home
- Academic Information
- Undergraduate Program
- Graduate Program
- Contact Us
Same sample, but using page parent folder paths and system names:
- department / index
- department / academics / index
- department / academics / undergraduate-program
- department / academics / graduate-program
- department / academics / requirements
- department / contact-us
To create a sub-level navigation,
- View the folder you want to add a sub-level navigation into (typically this would be your main department folder).
- Create a new folder, using a 'Folder Name' that is descriptive of the content it will hold (e.g. services or research), and follows the following naming conventions:
Lowercase only, word spaces replaced with hyphen, and leading and trailing spaces are not allowed.
- Create a new page within this folder and enter 'index' in the 'Page Name' field. If you are unsure of how to name a page, see the renaming a page instructions.
- This page will become the "homepage" for your new sub-level navigation (see screenshot).
To create additional child pages,
- View the new folder you just created.
- Create a new page within this folder.
- Each page you add within this folder will appear within the sub-level navigation (see screenshot).
Demo: Creating a sub-level navigation
Screenshot: Sub-level navigation example
- Creating a New Page
- Creating a New Folder
- Renaming a Page
- Ordering the Left-Hand Site Navigation
- Working with Pages Overview
- Working with Folders Overview
Take me back to Cascade User's Guide