Join the Employee Wellness Team as we "hike" perimeter of Pennsylvania as part of our Spring 2016 Employee Walking Challenge. Each team will record its steps to see how far it travels along the National Memorial Trail. Accumulate steps by walking, running, swimming, dancing, or whatever exercise you prefer. This 10-week challenge will begin on February 22 and continue to May 1, 2016..
Register your team by emailing email@example.com with your Team Name, Captain's Email Address, and a list of Team Members (maximum of 12 members). If you need a team, we will find you one.
Hikers who participate in all ten weeks will become part of a drawing for a prize.
Healthy U participants (Faculty, Coaches, Managers, Nurses, Police Only) will earn 25 points.
Tips for Success:
Goal - 10,000 steps or five miles daily
At the end of each week convert your steps to mileage – 2,000 steps = 1 mile
- Put your pedometer on when you get dressed in the morning and remove it before going to bed.
- Use a datebook, calendar or small tablet to record your daily steps.
- Convert all physical activity to steps. For example, you plan to use an elliptical trainer for 30 minutes
- remove your pedometer before starting
- "Run" on the elliptical trainer for 30 minutes
- when you are finished, put your pedometer on
- the conversion rate for one minute on an elliptical trainer is 203 steps; therefore, 30 minutes X 203 - 6,090 steps
- add 6,090 steps to your pedometer count at the end of the day
- Listening to music while exercising will help you maintain a faster tempo.
- Hydrating before, during, and after your workout is key to the recovery process. The better your hydration level is the more stamina you will have during your workout and the better you will feel tomorrow.
- When warming up, it is better to do dynamic stretches at the beginning of your workout (jumping jacks, lunges, shoulder circles, jogging in place, etc.) and follow with static stretches (holding a stretch for a long period of time) at the end of your workout.
In addition to the minutes to mileage conversion below, here are a few activities with steps per minute:
Steps per minute
Aerobics, high impact
And for our favorite winter activity -
Team Mileage Pages
- Mileage Conversion
- Team Accounting for Our Steps
- Team Bit by Bit
- Team Culture Club
- Team Dining
- Team Dollars & Sense
- Team EDFN
- Team Example
- Team Fireball
- Team Human Racers
- Team Just the 2 of Us
- Team Lost in Pace
- Team Mathematics
- Team Mise en Place
- Team No Pressure
- Team Palmer
- Team Psychos
- Team Scimatrek
- Team Stayer Steppers
- Team The Mighty Four
- Team Witmer
- Team WSSD
- The Money Team