Join the Employee Wellness Team as we "hike" Canada's Great Trail from Regina, Saskatchewan to Vancouver which is 2,225 miles. Each team will record its mileage to see how far it travels along the trail. Accumulate steps by walking, running, swimming, dancing, or whatever exercise you prefer. This 10-week challenge will begin on February 17 and continue to April 26, 2020.
Register your team (12 member maximum) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your Team Name, Captain's Email Address, and a page will be created so that teammates can be added by the captain. If you need a team, we will find you one.
Hikers who participate in the entire hike will become part of a drawing for a prize.
Tips for Success:
Goal - 10,000 steps or five miles daily
At the end of each week convert your steps to mileage – 2,000 steps = 1 mile
- Put your pedometer on when you get dressed in the morning and remove it before going to bed.
- Use a datebook, calendar or small tablet to record your daily steps.
- Convert all physical activity to steps. For example, you plan to use an elliptical trainer for 30 minutes
- remove your pedometer before starting
- "Run" on the elliptical trainer for 30 minutes
- when you are finished, put your pedometer on
- the conversion rate for one minute on an elliptical trainer is 203 steps; therefore, 30 minutes X 203 - 6,090 steps
- add 6,090 steps to your tracker count at the end of the day
- Listening to music while exercising will help you maintain a faster tempo.
- Hydrating before, during, and after your workout is key to the recovery process. The better your hydration level is the more stamina you will have during your workout and the better you will feel tomorrow.
- When warming up, it is better to do dynamic stretches at the beginning of your workout (jumping jacks, lunges, shoulder circles, jogging in place, etc.) and follow with static stretches (holding a stretch for a long period of time) at the end of your workout.
In addition to the minutes to mileage conversion below, here are a few activities with steps per minute:
Steps per minute
Aerobics, high impact
And for our favorite winter activity -
Team Mileage Pages
- Mileage Conversion
- Team AA&SD
- Team Accounting & Budget
- Team CSIL That Walk
- Team Duncan Dash
- Team EPPIIC Dining
- Team Example
- Team Human Resources
- Team International Programs & Services
- Team Library
- Team Mathematics
- Team Palmer
- Team SAEM
- Team Scimatrek
- Team Strolling Stethoscopes
- Team Trek-nology
- Team Will Walk for Donuts
- Team WSSD